Most children tend to fly the nest at some point or another in one way or another. After high school graduation, some children will go off to college, while some will choose to enter into the workforce. Some children may stay at home in order to save money or if they hit some snags in young adulthood. These children tend to move out as soon as they get their bearings and are in a better position. If your child has not made much life progress or progress is always being stifled because of mental illness, flying the nest may be exceedingly difficult. In this case your child my need to receive disability. Here are a few ways to help your child get disability to sustain life as a mentally disabled adult. 

Find out the final diagnosis

It is not uncommon for different psychiatrists to have different ideas on a mental health diagnosis. Since some conditions are related, such as major depression and bipolar disorder, it is possible for doctors to have a different theory. The best way to get a final diagnosis is to seek out a mental health facility with a team of psychiatrists. Having your child evaluated by a team will help to produce a well educated and vetted diagnosis. Knowing the diagnosis will be crucial towards a social security application. 

Determine their level of abilities

When it comes to social security application approvals, the level of the disability will provide the committee with the information necessary to approve or deny social security at a certain level. Since social security can work based upon the level of disability, you need to know how able your son or daughter is when it comes to adult tasks and living. For instance, if your child suffers from major depression but is able to hold down a job for a few hours each week, this level will be different than a child that has been diagnosed with schizophrenia but cannot work. A social security attorney can help you legally determine your child's abilities and probably social security level. 

Decide on a payee

If your child is generally able to perform their own self-care but has a hard time working, they may be able to accept their own social security payments. If handling their own care or dealing with money is difficult for your child, a payee will need to be designated. If you intend on taking care of your child, the social security payments can be placed directly into your account. Before you designate an official payee, speak with your attorney on how this will impact your income taxes and what will be legally necessary to do with the money each month.