If your baby suffered birth injuries and was left with permanent disabilities, you need to seek help as soon as possible. Birth injuries are serious events that will have lasting repercussions for you and your baby. You shouldn't have to bear the burden of injuries and disabilities that were caused by the negligent actions of your health care provider. If you're not sure what to do, here are three steps you should take that will help get you through the process.

Contact a Medical Malpractice Attorney

If your baby was injured due to the negligent actions your medical team, the first thing you need to do is contact a medical malpractice attorney. Seeking damages from a doctor, hospital, or another healthcare provider is not something you should try to do alone. You're going to need legal expertise to ensure that you receive the compensation that you and your baby are entitled to. Not only that, but if your baby was left with permanent disabilities, they're going to need long-term medical care. An experienced birth injury lawyer will fight to get you the benefits you deserve.

Develop a Comprehensive Plan for Your Child's Care

Once you've hired an attorney, they work with you to develop a life care plan. One of the benefits of the life care plan is that it will give you a clear perspective of what it will entail to care for your baby and their changing needs throughout their life. Without the life care plan, it can be difficult to get an adequate understanding of how much it will cost to provide necessary care for your child. Your life care plan will look at the cost of caring for your baby up to this point, which will provide a good estimate of what additional care will cost. Your life care plan will become the starting point for negotiations when you enter into settlement talks with the healthcare provider who caused the birth injuries.

Identify Additional Services

You might not realize this now, but your baby is going to require additional services over the course of their lifetime. Now's the time to start identifying those services that will be available to your child. Some of the services you'll need to identify will include educational and governmental services that your child will need. These services may include grants for special equipment or other programs that your child may benefit from.

Birth injuries can have devastating consequences. If your baby was left with permanent disabilities due to medical negligence, seek legal advice as soon as possible. They'll be able to answer any questions you might have, and help you receive the compensation you're entitled to.